Preventing Air Conditioning Sickness: Stay Healthy During the Summer
"Why Do I Feel Like I Have a Cold in the Middle of Summer?"
I have experienced this myself. During one summer, I worked in an office where the air conditioner was running all day. At first, I thought I was simply tired, but later I developed a sore throat, stiff shoulders, headaches, and chills. I assumed I had caught a cold, but my doctor explained that it was most likely caused by spending too much time in a cold, air-conditioned environment.
After making a few changes to my daily habits, these symptoms almost disappeared. Air conditioning sickness is not a contagious disease. Instead, it occurs when the body has difficulty adjusting to large temperature differences between indoor and outdoor environments.
What Causes Air Conditioning Sickness?
1. Large Temperature Differences
When it is 35°C (95°F) outside but only 20°C (68°F) indoors, your body must constantly adjust to sudden temperature changes. This can put stress on the nervous system and lead to fatigue, headaches, digestive problems, and muscle stiffness.
Example
- Walking outside under the hot sun.
- Entering a freezing office.
- Sitting under the air conditioner for several hours.
- Going back outside into the heat after work.
Repeating this cycle every day can make your body feel exhausted.
2. Direct Exposure to Cold Air
Cold air blowing directly onto your face, neck, shoulders, or legs for a long period can tighten your muscles and reduce blood circulation.
I experienced this myself because my desk was directly under the air conditioner. Every afternoon my neck and shoulders became stiff. After moving my seat and changing the direction of the airflow, I felt much more comfortable.
3. Poor Ventilation
Running the air conditioner all day without opening the windows can make indoor air stale. Dust, bacteria, and mold may accumulate, reducing air quality.
Opening the windows for 5 to 10 minutes every two or three hours helps keep the air fresh.
How to Prevent Air Conditioning Sickness
1. Keep the Room Temperature Between 26°C and 28°C (79°F–82°F)
This is the most effective way to prevent air conditioning sickness.
The difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures should be around 5–8°C (9–14°F).
For example:
- Outdoor temperature: 34°C (93°F)
- Indoor temperature: 26–27°C (79–81°F)
This temperature range is much easier for your body to handle.
2. Bring a Light Jacket
Offices, libraries, and cafés are often colder than expected.
A light cardigan, hoodie, or jacket can help you maintain your body temperature.
My experience
I started keeping a light hoodie on my chair. Whenever I felt cold, I put it on immediately. My headaches and muscle stiffness became much less frequent.
3. Drink Warm or Room-Temperature Water
Drinking only iced beverages throughout the day can make your body feel even colder.
Warm tea or room-temperature water helps maintain a healthy body temperature.
4. Stretch Every Hour
Sitting in one position for a long time slows blood circulation.
Simple exercises such as:
- Rolling your shoulders
- Stretching your neck
- Standing up and walking for a few minutes
- Stretching your back
can make a big difference.
5. Avoid Direct Airflow
Instead of pointing the air conditioner directly at yourself, adjust it toward the ceiling or reduce the fan speed so the cool air spreads evenly throughout the room.
6. Get Enough Sleep and Eat Regular Meals
Lack of sleep weakens your immune system, making you more vulnerable to air conditioning sickness.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle helps your body adapt to temperature changes more easily.
My Personal Experience
Before changing my habits, I usually:
- Set the air conditioner to 22°C (72°F)
- Drank iced coffee all day
- Sat at my desk without moving
- Rarely opened the windows
As a result, I often suffered from:
- Headaches
- Fatigue
- Neck pain
- Runny nose
- Digestive discomfort
After making a few simple changes:
- Keeping the room at 26°C (79°F)
- Drinking warm water
- Stretching every hour
- Ventilating the room regularly
- Wearing a light jacket
I noticed that I felt healthier, had more energy, and rarely experienced those uncomfortable symptoms.
Daily Checklist for Preventing Air Conditioning Sickness
✅ Keep the room temperature between 26°C and 28°C
✅ Maintain an indoor-outdoor temperature difference of 5–8°C
✅ Avoid direct exposure to cold air
✅ Wear a light jacket when indoors
✅ Drink warm or room-temperature water regularly
✅ Stretch or walk every hour
✅ Ventilate the room every 2–3 hours
✅ Get enough sleep and eat balanced meals
Conclusion
Air conditioning sickness is not a serious illness, but rather your body's response to excessive exposure to cold indoor environments. Fortunately, it is easy to prevent with a few simple habits.
Instead of setting your air conditioner to an extremely low temperature, choose a comfortable setting, stay hydrated, stretch regularly, and allow fresh air into your room. These small changes can help you stay healthy, comfortable, and enjoy a pleasant summer.
댓글 쓰기